Show All FAQs

All FAQs displayed, search or browse to limit results.

1. Are all UM Libraries open for studying and borrowing materials?

For Fall 2020, all UM Libraries (except for the Information Resource Center in the School of Business) on the Gables and Marine Science campuses are physically open for by-appointment individual study and request/pick up of library materials at Access Services. At the Medical campus, Calder Library is open at reduced study capacity and service hours. Hours of operation vary by library.

2. Are the distinctive collections (Special Collections, Cuban Heritage Collection, University Archives) open for visitors?

The distinctive collections will open in October 2020 by appointment only.  See the Book a Seat webpage for details. Our digital collections are available online at any time.

3. Are there any local reciprocal borrowing privileges available to University of Miami faculty and graduate students?

Yes, the University of Miami has special arrangements with the Florida International University [FIU] Library to allow University of Miami full-time faculty and doctoral candidates reciprocal access and borrowing privileges. Please obtain a letter of introduction/authorization by applying in person at the Richter Library 1st Floor Circulation Desk. Present your authorization letter, as well as your UM CaneID Card, to the FIU University Park Library Circulation Desk.

Please note this program provides access to collections and restricted borrowing privileges, but does not grant access to licensed electronic resources.

4. Are there charges for Interlibrary Loan service?

No, Interlibrary Loan service is offered free of charge to all University of Miami faculty, staff, and students.

5. Are there other study space options on campus?

Yes, there are other study spaces available on campus.

6. Can I access a desktop computer remotely?

Yes, you can access desktop computers in Richter Library remotely. Learn more about the experimental remote labs.

7. Can I book a group study space?

For the Fall 2020 semester, UM Libraries are dedicated to individual study only. Group study spaces are only available by appointment for students needing to attend an online class or for online testing.  Please see the Book A Seat webpage to make an individual appointment.

8. Can I borrow a laptop?

Yes, the Library Laptop Lending Program, located in Richter Library, offers you the opportunity to check out a laptop for two weeks. Laptops are picked up at Access Services at the entrance of Richter Library.

9. Can I connect to the UM databases from off-campus?

Registered UM students, faculty or staff can access UM's subscription databases from anywhere by signing in with a Cane ID and password. 

Alumni have limited off-campus access via the alumni portal - found on the library's homepage. Visitors and non-UM affiliated patrons will not have access to the databases from off-campus locales.  

10. Can I directly borrow materials from other research libraries via the OCLC/ARL Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement?

Yes, the University of Miami is a member of the OCLC/ARL [Association of Research Libraries] Reciprocal borrowing program, in which participating ARL libraries agree to extend borrowing and/or access privileges to faculty of other ARL institutions.

Current, full-time University of Miami faculty may obtain a ARL Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement Card by applying in person at the Richter Library 1st Floor Circulation Desk. When visiting a participating library, present your ARL Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement Card and photo ID at the main library circulation desk of the visited library. You are advised to contact libraries in advance of any visit, as access and borrowing privileges vary by institution.

11. Can I renew an item?

The lending library sets the loan, renewal, and use policies for borrowed item. It has the right to deny a renewal request, grant a renewal request, or recall the book before the due date. Renewal is not permitted for any overdue Interlibrary Loan items.

If the ILL book band on the item does not state, "No Renewals", you may submit a renewal request through your ILLiad account by viewing your active requests and clicking the Renew Item button. Requests should be submitted 1-3 days before an item is due. You may request one renewal for each item you borrow, unless the lending library stipulates that no renewals will be accepted.

If the lending library doesn't agree to your renewal request, Interlibrary Loan will notify you via email to return the item. If the renewal request is denied, the book must be returned on the original due date.

12. Can I renew my items online?

Yes, most items checked out can be renewed online by going to 'My Account' from the library's homepage. If an item is on hold for another patron, has been recalled, or already been renewed 3 times - the system will not process a renewal. 

13. Can I use my cane card/cane ID to print?

You can print from any iMac to the Uprint system using your cane ID/card for your basic printing needs. The Digital Media Lab's large and small format printing services operate independently from Uprint, therefore we will post charges to your UM account. For IDR transactions, please contact the Media Lab.

14. Can I use my cane card/cane ID to print?

You can print from any iMac to the Uprint system using your cane ID/card for your basic printing needs. The Digital Media Labs large and small format printing services operate independently from Uprint, therefore we will post charges through your UM account. For IDR transactions, please contact the Media Lab.

15. Can I use Uprint?

Yes. You can use our iMacs to print to the Uprint service. But only for your basic printing needs. This does not include large and small format printing services.

16. Can ILL materials be taken out, or shipped out of the South Florida area?

No, interlibrary loan materials should not be taken out of the South Florida area, to another state, or country for any reason. Lending libraries loan materials with the expectation that they are being used on campus or at a South Florida residence.

17. Can someone else pick up my ILL requests at the Circulation Desk?

Only the person placing the interlibrary loan request or persons designated as an 'authorized user' within the requestor's ILLiad account may pick up ILL materials. The ILL book band will list all authorized users for a requestor's ILLiad account. Authorized users will need to bring their CaneID card to pick up ILL materials.

18. Can you eat or drink inside the UM Libraries?

Unfortunately, no food or drink is allowed inside any library building during this time.  You are also required to wear your mask inside.  Please help us maintain a safe study space by doing your part to slow the spread!

20. Do I need an appointment to study in the library?

For individual study at any UM Library during Fall 2020, an appointment is required; please see our Book A Seat webpage for details. Library patrons are allowed 4 hours a day maximum of onsite use. Please note that use of the request/pick up service does not grant you admittance into the library study space.

21. Does the Creative Studio carry Pro Tools?

Currently, the Creative Studio does not offer Pro Tools software. We offer Garage Band, Adobe Audition, and Soundtrack Pro.

22. Does the Creative Studio convert /digitize VHS, cassette tapes, vinyl, 8 track and/or 8mm film?

Yes. The Creative Studio can digitize VHS tapes, cassette tapes and vinyl records. {C}Currently, we cannot digitize/convert 8mm film or 8 track tapes.

23. Does the Creative Studio cut posters and banners?

Patrons have access to cutters available in the lab. All Creative Studio patrons will be responsible for their own paper cutting needs.

24. Does the Creative Studio design print/publishing material?

The Creative Studio does not provide design services. We have the tools you can use to design your own work, and we offer instruction on how to use those tools.  Our staff is prepared to offer tutoring and guidance.  UM patrons also have access to tutorials.

25. Does the Creative Studio give classes?

We offer tutorials in person and through the video learning website The university has an account with that enables our patrons to be able to log in and learn through the university’s subscription. You can log into or register for through the Creative Studio homepage.

An employee will be happy to give you tutoring and guidance on how to use the equipment and programs in the Creative Studio if requested.

26. Does the Creative Studio have chargers?

MacBook and iPhone chargers are available for lending at the Circulation Desk.

27. Does the Creative Studio have scanners?

Yes. The Creative Studio has a total of two scanners:

(1) Epson Expression 10000 XL – Large format scanner

12.2" x 17.2" with 2400 dpi resolution and a 3.8 Dmax and 48-bit color;

(1) Epson Photo 4990 - Small format scanners,

8" x 10" scanning capability, 4800 x 9600 dpi resolution, 48-bit color depth, and 4.0 Dmax

28. Does the Creative Studio laminate?

We do not provide lamination services.

29. Does the Creative Studio print flyers?

Unless your flyers require a photo finish you can print them using the regular printers in the libraries on the Uprint system.

30. Does Weeks Library have music-writing software like Sibelius?

There are 10 iMacs on the 2nd floor of Weeks Music Library that have Sibelius 6. These iMacs are available for use by anyone, although music students and faculty have priority.

31. How can I get help with research questions?

You can use the Ask-A-Librarian chat service, book a consultaton, or contact a subject librarian. You can also browse our online research guides.

32. How do I book an appointment for individual study space?

For Fall 2020, appointments for individual study at UM Libraries can be made at the Book a Seat webpage. All library spaces for individual study are available at one hour increments, up to a maximum of 4 hours per day of onsite use. Please Ask-A-Librarian if you have challenges with booking an appointment online.

33. How do I cite an article?

Please see our citation page.

34. How do I find a database?

You can access the databases from the Libraries' home page. Once you click on "Databases," you will be able to search by title, by subject, or by type.

If you have trouble deciding which database best fits your need, please use our Ask-A-Librarian service for assistance. The Libraries staff can also assist you with using any particular database.

35. How do I find an E-journal?

If you are looking for articles on your subject, it is recommended that you search in a database rather than in a specific journal.

To go to a specific journal online, you can search our list of e-journals. Some titles are available through more than one system; all available options will be listed along with their individual dates of coverage.

If you have a complete citation, you can speed up your search by using Citation Linker.

36. How do I find articles in journals?

In a hurry? Use keywords in the uSearch tab to search on the Libraries home page.

  • uSearch searches a majority of the Libraries electronic and print journals
  • You can limit your search to articles from specific types of publications such as scholarly journals

Need better results? Find a database for your subject by using the Research Guides.

37. How do I find audio recordings?

Audio recordings, including CDs, vinyl records (LPs) and audiocassettes, are stored behind the circulation desk at Weeks Music Library. To check out these items, you must provide library staff with a call number.

You can search for recordings by using the “CD/DVD” link at the top of the main Library website. For best results, you can also use the catalog’s Advanced search to combine composers, titles, performers, and other information. For tips on how to search the catalog for recordings, click here.

38. How do I find audiobooks?

A Subject search in the catalog for "audiobooks" will bring up a list of all the titles that the Libraries own but that's hundreds of titles.

The recommended search is to use Keyword with "audiobooks" and at least one other term. For instance, "audiobooks potter" will bring up a list of the Harry Potter novels that the Libraries own as recordings.

You could use words from the title, the author's name, or the type of book, such as "mystery'.

39. How do I find books?

The Library Catalog lists all of our print, online, and recorded books as well as other materials. It does not contain materials in the Law or Medical Libraries; for those, you must use their separate catalogs.

In the Library Catalog, you can do a Title search if you know the exact name of the book. If you're not sure of the exact title, use Keyword.

If you want books by a particular person, use the Author search. Type in their last name first! If you want to see books that other people have written about an author, such as William Shakespeare, then you would put Shakespeare in as a Subject.

Subject searches can be tricky because the Libraries use a strict, formal set of subject terms. If your Subject search does not find the material that you want, try Keyword.

40. How do I find dissertations and theses?

Many dissertations and theses completed at UM  since 1961 are available online through the UM Scholarly Repository.

Print copies of all UM dissertations and theses from 1943 to 2008 are available through the Libraries catalog but they are not stored on public shelves. You must find the record for the title that you want and then click on the Request button.

In the catalog, do a Title search if you know the exact name of the paper that you want. If you are not sure, use the Keyword search.

Do an Author search if you know the writer's name. Enter it last name first; i.e., Smith, John.

If you want to find papers on your subject, do a Keyword search.  Include either the word "theses" or "dissertations" along with any words that describe your subject.

41. How do I find DVDs?

All the DVDs in Richter Library are on public shelves arranged by genre and may be browsed. DVDs at Weeks Music Library are stored behind the circulation desk. DVDs are also listed in the Libraries catalog just like books.

On the Libraries home page, click on Catalog above the search box. If you know the exact title of the film you want, change Keyword to Title and enter the name.

You can do an Author search for a film. Authors will include the director and the principal actors. Always enter the name last name first; i.e., Wayne, John.

You can search for a particular genre of film by doing a Subject search; i.e., comedy films, romance films, etc.

The nonfiction or documentary films are arranged by the same call number system as the books. If you already know where the books on your subject are, just check under the same call number in the DVD collection, nonfiction genre.

To search the catalog for films on your subject, use the Keyword search. Include the word "documentary" and any other terms that describe your subject.

42. How do I find maps?

The Richter Library's general map collection has over 60,000 maps from around the world. It includes many different kinds of maps such as city street, country, geologic, and topographic maps. Most of the maps are less than 100 years old but we do collect modern reproductions of older maps, especially city maps.

The maps are not self-service. You must ask for assistance at the Research Desk on the first floor.

Most of the maps can be borrowed by UM faculty, staff, and students.

Nearly all of the maps are listed in the catalog. The best way to find them is to do a Keyword search using the word "maps" and the name of the place you are interested in such as "Florida" or "London."

Additional historical maps can be found in Special Collections.

The Library does subscribe to some map or map-related databases. Please check our list of databases by format.

43. How do I find music scores?

Music scores are located on the 2nd floor of Weeks Music Library. They are shelved using a modified version of the Library of Congress Classification System. To view a guide to the classification system, click here.

You can search for scores in the library catalog. If you know the exact title of the musical work, you can do a Title search. To search for music by a specific composer, use the Author search. For best results, use the Advanced search to combine composers, titles, keys, opus numbers, and other information. For tips on how to search the catalog for scores, click here.

44. How do I find the right librarian?

Please see the list of subject librarians.

45. How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Acrobat Reader is available without charge from Adobe Systems, Inc. Click the "Get Acrobat Reader" button to go directly to the download page.

46. How do I get course reserves materials?

All course reserve materials are online for the Fall 2020 semester. For health and safety reasons, no physical textbooks or course reserve materials are available this semester. 

47. How do I get my articles when they arrive?

Logon to ILLiad. On the main menu, choose "View/Download Electronic Document Delivery Articles." This will give you a list of all items that you have waiting to view, print or download.

48. How do I install the LibX Toolbar? And what is it?

Printer Friendly (PDF)

The LibX Toolbar is the University of Miami Libraries' tool to allow you to access library resources from anywhere on the Web.

What can LibX do?

(1) Toolbar and right-click context menu

Search the IBIS catalog directly from the LibX toolbar or using the right-click context menu.


(2) Do complicated searches using multiple fields


(3) Embedded cues

LibX places the UM logo on web pages you visit. Find books through Amazon, New York Times, Google or many others and click on the logo to see if we have it. Watch this screencast for demonstrations of this cool feature. (requires Macromedia Flash Plug-in)

If we don't have that edition, you can easily check if we have another.


(4) Quick full text access to journal articles

Find descriptions of articles through your favorite web resources. Select a citation or article title, then drag-and-drop it onto the Scholar button on the toolbar. LibX uses Google Scholar to search for articles and links through to on-line copies available through the library.

You can use this feature even from inside a PDF!


(5) Off-campus access via EZProxy

Reload a page through the proxy, or follow a link via the proxy, making it appear as though you are coming from an on-campus computer.


Download Toolbars

Click here to install For Firefox Browsers

If Firefox displays a message "To protect your computer, Firefox prevented this site from installing software on your computer," press the button labeled "Edit Options..." and click "Allow" to add to the list of websites from which extensions may be installed. Then click "Ok" and visit the "Install" link again.

Click here to install For IE 7.0 Browsers (Beta)

49. How do I know if my computer can receive electronic articles?

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed and configured to work with your Web browser in order to view, download, and print these articles. If you can read the sample page, then your computer has the necessary software installed to work with your Web browser. However, if your computer tells you the file type is unknown and asks if you want to save the file to disk, then you need to install the Adobe Acrobat Reader software.

50. How do I know when my Interlibrary Loan item is due?

Each ILL item will have a paper band wrapped around the cover detailing the due date and any loan restrictions placed by the lending library, including whether the item may be renewed. This band must remain on the item at all times. You may also log into your ILLiad account to review the due date and any restrictions associated with your borrowed item.

Failure to return materials in a timely manner can jeopardize the University of Miami's relationship with other libraries and may result in the blocking of Interlibrary Loan services to the University of Miami community.

51. How do I know which requests will be electronically delivered and which ones will not?

ILLiad sends you an e-mail notification for each item received. That e-mail will include information about the delivery method. Currently electronic delivery is only available for items that are delivered to us electronically from the lending library so please read the e-mail notifications carefully.

52. How do I pay for print jobs or reformatting projects?

Print costs are posted on your UM account. If you wish to pay cash or credit card, Access Services can process your payment.

Interdepartmental requests must be accompanied by an IDR. The Creative Studio will provide an invoice if needed. Please contact the Creative Studio to coordinate this transaction.

53. How do I read and find a call number?

The call number alone is not enough to find a book. You also need to note the location. The Libraries use the same call number system across multiple collections in multiple libraries.

Once you know the location, the Libraries' basic call number system is easy to use. Let's say that you wanted to find this book:

Richter 4th Flr Stacks
QE83 .G7413 2003 

Once you get to the fourth floor of Richter, look for the Q's. They will go Q, QA, QB, etc. Find the QE's.

Within the QE's, they will go 1,2,3,4,5, etc. Find the 83's.

Within the QE 83's, they will go .A, .B, .C, etc. Find the .G's.

Within the QE 83 .G's, you are now dealing with decimal numbers. .G2 will come after .G14. Between .G7 and .G8, you will find .G7413.

Once you get that far, you should have no trouble finding the book. If you cannot find it, go to the Access Services desk on the first floor and ask for help.

54. How do I reserve a study room at Weeks Music Library?

To reserve rooms 120, 122, or 211 at Weeks Music Library, stop by the circulation desk or call 305-284-9885 . To reserve room 210 (the seminar room), contact Sylvia Swaine (305-284-2241) or Cecilia Irvine (305-284-6914) at the Frost School of Music.

55. How do I reserve a study room or equipment in Richter Library?

You must first create an account on the Libraries Reservation System in order to reserve a Richter Library Group Study Room, Digital Media Services Workstation, or Digital Media Equipment.

56. How do I reserve Creative Studio equipment?

You can reserve Creative Studio equipment at:
The Creative Studio offers equipment rentals such as cameras, tripods, camcorders, lighting kits, green screens, and audio recording equipment online under the “Equipment” section.

57. How do I return a book or other library materials?

Book returns are available at all library locations during hours of operation during Fall 2020. The Richter Library book drop in the Breezeway outside the library is always open.

58. How do I sign up for electronic delivery?

Logon to ILLiad. From the main menu, click the button labeled "Change Personal Info." For the choice "Preferred Electronic Delivery if Possible (via web through ILLiad?)," choose "Yes" to have your electronic articles posted to your ILLiad account.

59. How do I Troubleshoot Off-Campus Access to Library Resources?

Access to licensed electronic resources is restricted to current UM students, faculty and staff ("UM community"). Most of the Libraries' electronic resources are available without restriction from any computer workstation on campus. If you are off-campus, access to licensed electronic resources will require confirmation of your University status.

Most resources can be accessed off-campus using your CaneID information. This is the same username and password used to access your MyUM/CaneLink account. You can find more information about the CaneID, including what to do if you forget your username and/or password, at the CaneID home page.

Once you have clicked on an e-resource link, you will be brought to the CaneID authentication screen. Enter your CaneID username and password, then click Login.  The system will verify that you have access to the UM electronic resources, then pass you directly to the e-resource.

NOTICE: These materials may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code). Fair Use Provisions of the Copyright Law [section 107] and licensing agreements for the use of the Libraries' electronic resources prohibit the systematic downloading and retention of substantial portions of a given volume or resource. Please consult our Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources Policy for general use guidelines.

Troubleshooting Remote Access Checklist

  1. Do you have a valid CaneID username and password?

    Make sure you are using the same username and password you use to access your MyUM/CaneLink account. If you are a new student, faculty, or staff member it can take several days or weeks for your credentials to be fully processed by the University's Central IT Division. Please contact Ask-A-Librarian if you think your CaneID account should be working.

    Remote access to licensed library resources varies according to your affiliation with the University. Please consult the Access & Borrowing Privileges page to determine whether you qualify for remote access.

  2. Are you having problems with all electronic resources, or just a specific resource?

    Sometimes there are problems with a specific vendor or resource. Try to connecting to several other licensed resources to see if you have a problem to connecting to everything, or just a specific resource.

  3. Are you on the Medical Campus?

    The Calder Medical Library separately licenses resources from EBSCO, including PsychINFO and CINHAL. If you are connecting from a computer on the Medical Campus, you will need to use the resource links found on the Calder Library Databases page, rather than link on the UM Libraries page. If you are connecting from off-campus, links from the UM Libraries page should work for Medical Campus personnel, providing you have a valid UM CaneID account.

  4. What internet browser are your using?  Are Cookies enabled?

    Make sure the Cookies and JavaScript are enabled in your browser, as most resources require these in order to connect and utilize the various search services. Try connecting with a different browser, e.g. try using IE, if you have problems with Firefox. Sometimes certain forms, scripts, or services have difficulty working properly in one browser or another.

  5. Are you behind a firewall?

    If you are behind a non-UM firewall, make sure it is configured to allow access to the Libraries' proxy server (, in order to allow proper authentication through the University's CaneID service.


Report A Problem with Remote Access

If you are experiencing any problems connecting to library resources, please visit our Ask a Librarian webpage

Contact the Calder Medical Library or Law Library directly if you are experiencing any difficulty accessing materials via their web pages.

60. How do you calculate printing cost?

Large format printing service cost is determined by linear length. The rates varies depending on the paper roll we use:

  • 24 inch roll: $0.75 per linear inch
  • 44 inch roll: $1.00 per linear inch

I.E. – A poster that measures 24” x 36” will cost $27.00

Small format photo printing service is charged per sheet

  • 8.5 x 11 sheet: $2.50 each
  • 11 x 17 sheet: $5.00 each
  • 13 x 19 sheet: $7.50 each

61. How long can I take out a book for?

Loan periods vary by user type.  Please visit:

62. How long can I visit the library?

Appointments for individual study space during the Fall 2020 semester can be made in hour-long increments, up to a maximum of eight hours per day in Richter Library; 4 hours per day in our Subject Specialty Libraries. Please see the Book a Seat webpage for details.

63. How long does it take to receive Interlibrary Loan materials?

The average time to receive materials is 1-2 weeks for loans and 2-5 days for copies or electronic documents. The turnaround time on requests depends on the location of the lending library and/or whether your request had to be forwarded to multiple libraries before finding a willing lender.

If you cannot use an item if not received by a specific date, please indicate this in your original request.

64. How long will I have access to the article?

The article will be available for 30 days from the date of notification or until you delete the item. During the 30 day period the item may be viewed, printed and/or downloaded as needed.

65. How will I know my request is ready for pick up?

You may set your preference for either email or phone notification in your ILLiad account. Unless otherwise specified the default/preferred notification for pick-up will be email. ILLiad will send an automatic email to the address listed in your account when your Interlibrary Loan request has been received and processed.

Requests will be held for pick up at the Richter Library 1st Floor Circulation Desk for the duration of the loan period. Materials not retrieved by the end of the loan period will be returned to the lending library.

If you are unable to pick up your materials within the loan period, please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 305-284-6102 or

66. I am trying to make a reservation but the reservation database is not responding.

This often occurs when you attempt to make a reservation within 24 hours of your requested date for pick up.  Please contact the lab for assistance.

67. If I am not a current UM student, faculty, or staff, can I use UM Libraries this fall (2020)?

For the Fall 2020 semester, we are restricting access to all UM Library facilities to current UM students, faculty, and staff by appointment only, unless the appointment is with the distinctive collections (beginning in October).

68. If there is a library that owns what I want, why won't they lend it?

There are many valid reasons why libraries will not loan materials which they own. The book may be checked out, lost or missing. Also, some libraries will not loan materials which they consider to be valuable or needed by their patrons on a regular basis. In addition, libraries often restrict the lending of certain material formats of material such as computer software, video recordings, audio recordings, and microfilm.

Many libraries do not loan materials that have been published within the last and/or current year. We now forward all requests for recent publications to the library's Collection Development Department for review for purchase. ILLiad will automatically send you an email if this has occurred with your request. If approved by Collection Development, the request will be ordered as a rush purchase and you will be notified upon its arrival - typically within 3-5 days.

69. Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?

Yes. Web browsers cache information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the browser's history file. If you are concerned about the security of your interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:

  • Access ILLiad only from your personal computer or an otherwise secure workstation.
  • When using a public access workstation: Delete from the history file those pages that contain your personal information. Exit from the Web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using.

70. Is there wireless access in the Libraries?

Wireless access to library resources, services, and the internet is available on the Coral Gables campus through the SecureCanes or CanesGuest wireless networks.

University of Miami students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to register their mobile devices on the SecureCanes wireless network, as this will provide a greater bandwidth and access speed.   Registered UM users will also be able to access licensed library resources without needing to authenticate.

CanesGuest wireless network access is available to visitors to the Coral Gables campus.Access is not available to licensed library resources.

Wireless Printing to library printers is available through UPrint, but requires the download of UPrint drivers. Instructions for wireless printing are found on the UPrint webpage.

71. May I obtain my Textbooks via Interlibrary Loan?

Textbooks required for course study are not provided by Interlibrary Loan. Textbooks should be purchased. If the bookstore does not have the textbook in stock, please notify your instructor or the bookstore staff. Requests for textbooks will be cancelled.

72. Tell me more about Journal Rankings and Impact Factors.

Use Journal Citation Reports.

ISI Journal Citation Reports (JCR) is a multidisciplinary database that presents statistical data useful for determining the relative importance of journals within 224 predefined subject categories.
JCR enables researchers to:

  • Find the highest-impact journals
  • Find the most cited journals in a subject field
  • Identify subject review journals
  • Analyze journal citation trends

73. What are the penalties for overdue and /or lost materials?

The ILLiad system will automatically email an overdue notice to the address listed in your ILLiad account two days after the due date. If needed, a second overdue notice will be sent 10 days after the 1st notice and your ILL privileges will be blocked. ILL privileges will remain blocked until overdue items are returned to the library.

A bill for replacement, plus a non-returnable $25 processing fee will be sent to you upon receipt of an invoice from the lending library. Unpaid bills will be transferred to the Bursar's Office 30 days from issuance.

Failure to return overdue materials may result in the lending library blocking ILL services to the UM community. Interlibrary Loan users with established patterns of overdue and/or lost ILL items may have their ILL privileges revoked or restricted to in-house use of borrowed materials.

74. What does the Creative Studio print?

We print large format projects (posters, banners, etc) and small format printing (photos). The Creative Studio uses high gloss/photo paper.

75. What equipment does the Creative Studio lend?

  • Canon G7x Cameras
  • Canon M50 Mirrorless Cameras
  • Canon T7i Cameras
  • Canon T5 Camera
  • Canon HFG20 Camcorder
  • Canon HFR82 Camcorder
  • Zoom H1 & Tascam DR-05 Audio Recorders
  • GoPro Hero & GoPro Fusion
  • Tripods & Monopod
  • Epson Projector & Projector Screen
  • GVM 2-LED Panel Light Kit & Green Screen
  • Oculus VR Headsets

The Creative Studio also lends these small items for a period of 3 hours:

  • External DVD write/read drives
  • USB and Firewire cables
  • Wacom Intuos Pro tablet

76. What if a page is missing or illegible?

If there are any pages missing or text that is illegible or cut off, please contact the Interlibrary Loan office immediately. We can be contacted at (305)284-6102 or If possible, please provide the transaction number so that we can easily identify the request and reorder the problematic pages.

77. What if I do not want electronic delivery?

Paper delivery is the ILLiad default. Electronic delivery will be provided only if you choose it as an option on your Personal Information Form in ILLiad.

78. What if I forget my password?

In the event that you forget your password, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 305-284-6102 or email: We can then reset your password allowing you access to ILLiad. Please change your password once you logon to ILLiad.

79. What if I have a question about Interlibrary Loan?

Please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 305-284-6102 or e-mail:

80. What if I have questions about electronic delivery?

Please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 305-284-6102 or e-mail:


81. What if I lose or damage materials?

You are responsible for the safe return of all items borrowed via Interlibrary Loan. If an ILL item is lost or damaged, you are financially responsible for the repair or replacement costs set forth by the lending library.

You are also responsible for any damage caused by photocopying, even if no specific photocopy restrictions are noted on the material. Should damage occur, please report it to the Interlibrary Loan Office and do not attempt to repair the item yourself.

Should you lose or damage an Interlibrary Loan item contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 305-284-6102 or

82. What if I'm a Faculty Proxy / Authorized User?

Anyone wishing to allow a proxy to either initiate or pick up interlibrary loan requests for them must list such individuals as an 'authorized user' within their ILLiad account. If you are a faculty proxy/authorized user, please bring your CaneID card when picking up ILL materials for the faculty member. All authorized users are listed on the ILL book band attached to ILL materials.

Never order materials for anyone else, including a professor, on your personal ILLiad account. You will be held responsible for all charges on your account.

83. What if I'm affiliated with the Miller School of Medicine?

Patrons affiliated with the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine must use the Interlibrary Loan services provided by the Louis Calder Memorial Library to borrow materials from non-University of Miami libraries.

84. What if I'm affiliated with the School of Law?

Patrons affiliated with the University of Miami School of Law must use the Interlibrary Loan services provided by the School of Law Library to borrow materials from non-University of Miami libraries

85. What if there are pages that are upside down?

Journal articles sent by the lending library are sometimes scanned with alternating pages upside down. If you are using the Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 4.05 or higher, you can rotate the pages on the screen using the buttons on the toolbar. Otherwise, you an print the article and then organize your pages manually.

86. What is a QR code?

QR codes (Quick Response Codes) are similar to traditional barcodes.  However, instead of representing a number, the pattern of dark squares represents encoded text, usually a message, website or contact information.

 How do I use it?

You must have a phone or other smart device with a camera.  Some phones have a QR code reader already installed, otherwise you need to download a QR code reader.  Most are free downloads.  Once you have a QR code reader on your phone, simply point the camera at the code. Some readers automatically read the QR code while others require you to “take a picture” of the QR code.  Some QR code readers work better on certain devices, so read reviews and try a few until you find one that works for you.

 What does it do?

You can scan the QR code and receive different types of information depending on what is encoded and the capabilities of your QR code reader.

In the library catalog, the QR code will provide the location, call number and availability of a book.   

The library is exploring other uses of QR codes.  For example, the code on a poster or exhibit might take you to a website, or open an email application with the “To” field filled in.  

Is there any risk?

Most QR codes are safe to use.  But malicious QR codes can contain viruses, so be cautious of QR codes that show up in unsolicited emails or that you find on suspicious websites. 

 Wikipedia article

87. What is electronic delivery?

Many libraries ship photocopies of articles to us in electronic format. In the past we printed these articles before delivering them to you. Now, through ILLiad, we are able to offer you the option of electronic delivery of these articles in PDF format (Adobe's Portable Document Format). You can read more about electronic delivery on the Electronic ILL Delivery FAQ page.

88. What is electronic ILL delivery?

Many libraries ship photocopies of articles to us in electronic format. In the past we printed these articles before delivering them to you. Now, through ILLiad, we are able to offer you the option of electronic delivery of these articles in PDF format (Adobe's Portable Document Format) via a secure web site.

Currently electronic delivery is only available for items that are delivered to us electronically from the lending library.

89. What is ILLiad?

ILLiad is the software used to manage all interlibrary loan requests. You must have an ILLiad account in order to place an interlibrary loan request. Your ILLiad account will also allow you to monitor the status of your requests, request a renewal, and establish/modify preferences for receiving electronic documents.

90. What is Interlibrary Loan?

Interlibrary Loan is a service to provide access to materials not owned by the University of Miami Libraries in support of the research, teaching, and course-assignment needs of University of Miami faculty, students, and staff.

91. What is the cost for digitization/reformatting projects?

  • Instruction = Free!
  • Academic Project = Free!
  • Personal Project: Do it yourself  = Free!
  • The DML can do it = $10.00 per hour of work 

Conversions often take a few days. If you need something completed immediately, staff will be happy to instruct you so that you can convert it yourself in the lab.

92. What is Variations and how do I use it?

Variations is a streaming audio reserves system. You can use Variations to listen to recordings your instructor has placed on reserve. For more information about Variations, including how to download the player, click here.

93. What kind of paper do you print on?

We use high quality glossy and/or photo paper.

94. What kind of paper do you print on?

We use Epson gloss photo paper.

95. What materials can be obtained?

In general, most books, photocopied articles, music scores, theses or dissertations, some audio-visual materials, government documents, and other course-related research materials not owned by the University of Miami may be obtained via Interlibrary Loan.

96. What materials can not be obtained via ILL?

The National Interlibrary Loan Code (1993) places some restrictions on the materials we can borrow. We do not normally borrow the following:

  • Textbooks used in course work;
  • Standardized test preparation books (i.e. LSAT, GRE, GMAT, MCAT, TOEFL etc.);
  • Non-circulating materials (reference books, rare books, etc.);
  • Audio-visual materials (refer to Exception 1 below);
  • Periodicals (i.e. entire issues);
  • Genealogical materials;
  • Computer software;
  • Non-circulating theses and dissertations;
  • Materials owned by the library and currently in use (i.e. checked out or in course reserves)(refer to Exception 2 below); and

Exception 1- Faculty may borrow video cassettes/DVDs required for instructional purposes. Due to the heavy demand for audiovisual material, videos may only be available for a short loan period (approximately 5 days). Please note that many libraries do not loan audiovisual material and it may not be possible to find a willing lender for every request.

Exception 2 - Materials owned by the library but with missing, lost, or at bindery status, or which are overdue from a recall may be requested via Interlibrary Loan.

97. What policies govern Interlibrary Loan service?

Interlibrary Loan requests should be in support of academic or curricular needs. Conditions for interlibrary loans are set by the National Interlibrary Loan Code of the American Library Association and by individual libraries.

It is the prerogative of the lending library to set the loan period, refuse to lend materials, withhold permission to photocopy, and/or restrict materials to library use. As the borrowing library, we must adhere to all rules and restrictions of the lending library.

98. What Web browser should I use?

You need a Web browser that can handle forms, tables, and, preferably, one that can handle frames. We recommend Internet Explorer 6.0 or Netscape 7.0, or comparable Internet browsers for Windows users, and Safari 1.2 for Mac users.

99. When are Interlibrary Loans due?

The loan period for all interlibrary loan requests are established by the lending library. In general:

  • You may retain most borrowed items for at least 3 weeks.
  • Some materials may have much shorter loan periods.
  • Some materials may be restricted to use only within the Richter Library.
  • Some materials may have restrictions against photocopying.
  • Items obtained through interlibrary loan may NOT be put on Course Reserve.

100. Where can I go to take an online exam?

For the Fall 2020 semester, group study spaces are available by appointment only for individuals needing to take online exams or to attend an online course. Individual appointments can be made at the Book a Seat webpage in one hour increments, for a maximum of four hours per day.

A special Respondus Testing Space has been created in Rm 326 on the Richter 3rd Fl for students needing to take online tests using the Respondus software and/or lockdown browser, but who do not have personal devices capable of loading that software. These seats may not be booked for general study purposes.

101. Where do I pick up and/or return Interlibrary Loan materials?

Interlibrary Loan materials should be picked up and returned to the Richter Library 1st Floor Circulation Desk.

Interlibrary Loan materials should never be returned in the book drops, whether inside or outside of the library.

102. Who can book an appointment to visit the library?

For the Fall 2020 semester, appointments for individual study space are only available to current UM students, faculty, and staff.

103. Who can use Weeks Music Library?

Weeks Music Library is open to the general public. Music students and faculty have priority for the use of study rooms and equipment. To borrow materials you must have a ‘Cane Card or borrowing permit (click here for more information on borrowing privileges for visitors).

104. Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?

Please contact the InterLibrary Loan office at 305-284-6102 or e-mail to

105. Who is eligible?

Interlibrary Loan is available to University of Miami faculty (including retirees), staff, and currently enrolled students.

Alumni and external users are ineligible to receive Interlibrary Loan services, and are encouraged to seek this service from the nearest public library.

Students and faculty from other academic institutions must initiate Interlibrary Loan requests through their home institution.

106. Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?

Your username and password allows us to give you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. We can also enable you to edit your personal information such as your address or phone number.

Your username can be anything you like, such as your name, abbreviations, or an alphanumeric code. Your password also can be anything you like. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems. However, no one but you will know your password, not even the library staff. The password you set is stored in an encrypted file.

107. Why do I need an ILLiad account?

ILLiad is the software used to manage all interlibrary loan requests. You must have an ILLiad account in order to place an interlibrary loan request. Your ILLiad account will also allow you to monitor the status of your requests, request a renewal, and establish/modify preferences for receiving electronic documents.

108. Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?

The Active Server Pages technology that we use to provide live reporting for the web sends a Session ID to be stored on your machine. You can refuse this cookie and still be able to use the ILL web pages and ILLiad without any problems.

109. Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?

From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.

Powered by SubjectsPlus