FAQS: Creative Studio
Not all FAQs displayed, search or browse for more.
1. Can I use my cane card/cane ID to print?
You can print from any iMac to the Uprint system using your cane ID/card for your basic printing needs. The Creative Studio's large and small format printing services operate independently from Uprint, therefore we will post charges to your UM account. For departmental transactions, please contact us.
2. Can I use Uprint?
Yes. You can use our iMacs to print to the Uprint service. But only for your basic printing needs. This does not include large and small format printing services.
3. Does the Creative Studio carry Pro Tools?
Creative Studio at the Music libraty has Pro Tools, Logic Pro, and Ableton Live software on their computers.
4. Does the Creative Studio convert /digitize vintage formats?
Yes. The Creative Studio can digitize VHS, cassette tapes, MiniDV, Hi-8, and vinyl LPs. We also have flatbed scanners for negatives and slides.
5. Does the Creative Studio cut posters and banners?
Patrons have access to cutters available in the lab. All Creative Studio patrons will be responsible for their own paper cutting needs.
6. Does the Creative Studio design print/publishing material?
The Creative Studio does not provide design services. We have the tools you can use to design your own work, and we offer instruction on how to use those tools. UM employees who would like to hire someone to do this type of work for them (not for classes) can contact UM Orange Umbrella.
7. Does the Creative Studio give classes?
We offer tutorials and class workshops upon request. The university also has an account with LinkedIn Learning that enables UM students and employees access to numerous video tutorials.
8. Does the Creative Studio have chargers?
MacBook and iPhone chargers are available for lending at the Circulation Desk.
9. Does the Creative Studio laminate?
We do not provide lamination services.
10. Does the Creative Studio print flyers?
Unless your flyers require a photo finish you can print them using the regular printers in the libraries on the Uprint system.
11. How do I pay for print jobs or reformatting projects?
Print costs are posted on your UM account. If you wish to pay cash or credit card, Access Services can process your payment.
Interdepartmental requests must be accompanied by an account number. The Creative Studio will provide an invoice if needed. Please contact the Creative Studio to coordinate this transaction.
12. How do I reserve Creative Studio equipment?
Visit our Equipment for instructions on reserving equipment and a link to the reservation page.
13. How do you calculate printing cost?
Large format printing service cost is determined by linear length. The rates varies depending on the paper roll we use:
- 24 inch roll: $0.75 per linear inch
- 44 inch roll: $1.00 per linear inch
I.E. – A poster that measures 24” x 36” will cost $27.00
Small format photo printing service is charged per sheet
- 8.5 x 11 sheet: $2.50 each
- 11 x 17 sheet: $5.00 each
- 13 x 19 sheet: $7.50 each
14. I am trying to make a reservation but the reservation database is not responding.
This often occurs when you attempt to make a reservation within 24 hours of your requested date for pick up. Please contact us for assistance.
15. What does the Creative Studio print?
We print large format projects (posters, banners, etc) and small format printing (photos) on high gloss/photo paper. We also print 3D objects on PVA material.
16. What equipment does the Creative Studio lend?
- Canon G7x Cameras
- Canon M50 Mirrorless Cameras
- Canon T7i Cameras
- Canon T5 Camera
- Canon HFG20 Camcorder
- Canon HFR82 Camcorder
- Zoom H1 & Tascam DR-05 Audio Recorders
- GoPro Hero & GoPro Fusion
- Tripods & Monopod
- Epson Projector & Projector Screen
- GVM 2-LED Panel Light Kit & Green Screen
- Oculus VR Headsets
The Creative Studio also lends these small items for a period of 3 hours:
- External DVD write/read drives
- USB and Firewire cables
- Wacom Intuos Pro tablet
17. What is the cost for digitization/reformatting projects?
- Instruction = Free!
- Academic Project = Free!
- Personal Project: Do it yourself = Free!
- The DML can do it = $10.00 per hour of work
Conversions often take a few days. If you need something completed immediately, staff will be happy to instruct you so that you can convert it yourself in the lab.
18. What kind of paper do you print on?
We use Epson gloss photo paper.