The Digital Scholar’s Lab will be temporarily sharing premises with the Information Literacy Lab, located on the third floor of Richter Library in Room 344, adjacent to the elevators. It houses 24 PC workstations with GIS, and Data Analysis/ Visualization software installed (ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, R, Rstudio, SAS, SPSS, NVivo, Tableau and others.).
In person GIS and Data consultations (walk-ins allowed) will be offered at the lab during the following hours:
Monday 8 - 11 AM / 12:30 - 7 PM
Wednesday 8 - 11 AM / 12:30 – 4 PM / 5 – 7 PM
Thursday 8 AM to 12 PM / 1 - 4 PM
Friday 8 AM to 1 PM / 3 - 4 PM
Sunday 4 - 7 PM
All consultations will be provided online.
All consultations will be provided online.
ESRI Corona Virus GIS Dashboard to Track Prevalence
Corona Virus Impact Planning Reports from ESRI's Business Analyst Online
Landscan Global Population now available at UM
UM Library has recently purchased the Landscan Global Population data set from East View covering every year from 2000 to 2015. The data sets are raster based at 1 km resolution and can be accessed online at:
WMS and WCS services for these data sets can also be accessed directly from your GIS software (such as ArcGIS for Desktop or ArcGIS Pro) at the following addresses:
- For WMS/WCS services, replace "2000" with the data year you would like access. For example, to access 2006 data WMS, use http://wms.cartographic.com/GWS/services/LandScan2006/Dataset/MapServer/WMSServer
El Camino del Cimarron
See this new interactive map called El Camino del Cimarron on ArcGIS online chronicling a 12-day trek through central Cuba by FIU Prof. Guillermo Grenier to promote the story of runaway slave Esteban Montejo written about in Miguel Barnet's 1966 book The Biography of a Runaway Slave: http://arcg.is/1Q8km7v
Getting Starting with GIS (ArcGIS 10.x), a four-hour self-paced online course, is a great place to start.
An Esri training specialist is available to discuss your training needs and make training recommendations. Call 800-447-9778, ext. 5757 or send an e-mail to GIStraining@esri.com.
GeoDa is a software package that conducts spatial data analysis, geovisualization, spatial autocorrelation, and spatial modeling.
GRASS GIS is software used for geospatial data management and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling, and visualization.
OpenGeo Suite powers web, mobile, and desktop applications across the enterprise. Built on leading open source software – including PostGIS, GeoServer, GeoWebCache, OpenLayers, and QGIS – OpenGeo Suite optimizes standards-based technology for organizations large and small.
OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a free, editable map of the world.
Q GIS is an open source program that allows you to visualize, manage, edit, analyse data, and compose printable maps.
Simply Map SimplyMap uses the latest technology to provide better performance, faster maps, improved reliability, and powerful new features. Shapefiles are available for download to use in other software.
ArcGIS is a comprehensive geographic information system used for creating and using maps; compiling geographic data; analyzing mapped information; sharing and discovering geographic information; using maps and geographic information in a range of applications; and managing geographic information in a database.
The University has entered into a site license for ArcGIS. For faculty and staff to download ArcGIS, you must first create an account on the ESRI customer portal. It can be downloaded onto any University of Miami owned computer. Students may use any computer in the library, or see the GIS Services Librarian to see if a one year license is available for you for your own computer.
When you are starting on a spatial project located in Florida you should start with this portal. This will save you time and effort as most of the other Florida resources we have listed for you on this page can be searched through this site.
FGDL ia a mechanism for distributing spatial (GIS) data throughout the state of Florida. The FGDL is warehoused and maintained at the University of Florida's GeoPlan Center.
It is a links list, and is constantly updating.
- LABINS Main Page (DOQQ, High-Resolution Imagery, DRG, etc)
- LABINS County Data
- Florida Geospatial Metadata Index
Florida International University (FIU) Since its establishment in 1998, the FIU Library Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing Center has been supporting research and teaching in many academic units, including Engineering, Computing and Information Sciences, Biological Sciences, Earth and Environment, Public Health, and Global & Sociocultural Studies. MIUS collections include printed and digital maps, imagery and other GIS data.
University of Florida Digital Collections (George A Smathers Libraries)
The University of Florida Map & Digital Imagery Library houses the largest and most complete collection of Florida aerial photographs (~160,000 photos) outside of the National Archives.
The links in this guide are for your convenience. All of this data is available through the FGDL link available on the top left of this page. This FGDL is the geoportal you should be using if your study falls within Florida. However, we know you may want to see the data in the context of the government entity that is providing the data and that is what this list is for. As these governments agencies are currently migrating their GIS data to FGDL the links on their own pages will go dead. We will update links as we find them or you may report them to email@example.com. Thank you for understanding this guide is currently dynamic. *UPDATED 12/15/13*
Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research (BEBR) Collects, analyzes and generates economic and demographic data on Florida and its local areas. They conduct economic and demographic research that will inform public policy and business decision making.
- Florida Conservation Lands
- Florida Forever Board of Trustees Projects
- Florida Forever Acquisitions
- Critical Lands and Waters Identification Project
Florida Department of Community Affairs (FDCA)
- Division of Housing and Community Development - Areas of Critical State Concern
- Division of Community Planning - DRIs (Developments of Regional Impact)
- Status of Developments of Regional Impact Excel format PDF format
- Waterfronts Florida Program
- Waterfronts Community Case Studies 2009
Florida Department of Corrections (FDOC)
Florida Department of Education (FDOE)
Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM)
Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)
- FDEP Geographic Information Systems
- Bureau of Beaches and Coastal Systems
- Watershed Management Basin Rotation Project (BASIN 411)
- Florida Geological Survey (FGS) - Data and Maps
- Basin Management Action Plans (BMAP)
- Water Data Center
- STORage and RETrieval database (STORET)
- Tank Facility - All Locations & LatLong Information (by County)
- Petroleum Contamination - Contaminated Facilities List
- Water Assurance Compliance System (WACS) - Solid Waste Solid Waste Facility Inventory Report
Florida Department of Health (FDOH)
- Division of Environmental Health
- Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
- Healthcare Practitioner License Search
Florida Department of Revenue (FDOR)
Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)
- FDOT GIS Data / Maps Directory
- FDOT Survey and Mapping Geographic Mapping Section
- FDOT Unified Base Map Repository
- Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV)
- Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged
- Outdoor Advertising Data Download
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission FFWCC (FWC & FWRI)
- Marine Resources Geographic Information System (MRGIS)
- Terrestrial Resources Geographic Information System (TRGIS)
- Integrated Wildlife Habitat Ranking System (IWHRS)
- Strategic Habitat Conservation Areas (SHCA)
- 2003 Florida Vegetation And Land Cover
- Mapping Threats to Florida Freshwater Habitats
- Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Water Quality Protection Program
Florida Legislature Office of Economic & Demographic Research (EDR)
Florida Natural Areas Inventory (FNAI)
- FNAI GIS Data
- Florida Forever GIS Data
- Apalachicola Region Resources On the Web (ARROW)
- Critical Lands and Waters Identification Project (CLIP)
- iMap Invasives
Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority
- A set of 506 US military 1:500,000 scale TPCs (Tactical Pilotage Charts–scanned topographic/aeronautical maps), GeoTiff file format, Geo WGS84 (a small number of far-North sheets are natively Polar Stereographic)
- SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) 3 arc second (approx. 90m) DEM (Digital Elevation Model), covers the World from Latitude 57 South – 61 North, .bil file format, Geo WGS84 (also includes hydrology vectors used for editing of the DEM data)
- SRTM 30 arc second (approx. 1km) global DEM made from SRTM and GTOPO30
- Landsat 7 ETM 15m 7-4-2 GeoCover 2000 (1999 – 2003) worldwide satellite imagery, MrSID wavelett compressed file format, UTM WGS84
- Landsat 4/5 TM 30m 7-4-2 GeoCover 1990 (1988 – 1992) near-worldwide worldwide satellite imagery, MrSID wavelett compressed file format, UTM WGS84
- VMAP0 worldwide 1:1,000,000 scale vector data (near-worldwide coverage, varies by layer), ESRI .shp and MapInfo .TAB file formats, Geo WGS84.
This is the update of the DCW.
- World Vector Shoreline Plus 1:250,000 scale vector data of the World’s coastlines and international borders boundaries, ESRI .shp file format, Geo WGS84
These sets are not in their raw form and have been converted to SHP or other formats that can readily be used in ArcView and other common GIS programs. All datasets include .shp indexes except VMAP0 and WVS, which aren’t tiled, and SRTM30 which is organized by large lat / long blocks.
All data is the copyrighted property of LAND INFO Worldwide Mapping, LLC. Land Info grants customer a license to distribute data on an isolated non-commercial basis, or as Derived Works. Derived works that include the source data must be merged with other value-added data in such a way that the derived work can’t be converted back to the original source data format. Other Derived Works that don’t include the source data (vector extraction, classification etc.) have no restrictions on use and distribution. An unlimited license is granted for media use, provided that the following citation is used: “map data courtesy www.landinfo.com.”
Tactical Pilotage Charts: A UM source for an alternate to basemaps when you do not want to rely on online availability. 1990 Tactical Pilotage Charts 2000 Tactical Pilotage Charts Shuttle Radar Topography Mission: SRTM 30 arc second AsciiGrid global DEM SRTM 30 arc second Bil global DEM SRTM 30 arc second global DEM â€‹Landsat Imagery Landsat 7 ETM 15m 7-4-2 GeoCover 2000 (1999 - 2003) Landsat 4/5 TM 30m 7-4-2 GeoCover 1990 (1988 - 1992) Vector Files VMAP0 worldwide 1:1,000,000 scale vector data World Vector Shoreline Plus 1:250,000 scale vector data
Alexandria Digital Library
The Alexandria Digital Library (ADL) is a distributed digital library with collections of georeferenced materials.
This ASTER product is available at no charge for any user pursuant to an agreement between METI and NASA.
Resources for crowd-sourced street and other infrastructure features throughout the world.
This is your first source for US aquired imagery. Most of the data is free. Remote Sensing students should start their projects here.
ESRI Online Map & Geoservices
This link serves as a reminder for you to use all the data available to you for free in the ArcMap program. Remember,
FAO's Aquastat spatial data
Maps of hydrological basins and rivers, downloadedable in .png format.
Global Administrative Areas (GADM)
Administrative areas in this database are countries and lower level subdivisions such as provinces, departments, bibhag, bundeslander, daerah istimewa, fivondronana, krong, landsvæðun, opština, sous-préfectures, counties, and thana.
USGS GloVis Global Visualization Viewer (does not work with Firefox)
International Steering Committee for Global Mapping (ISCGM)
LandsatLook Viewer (USGS)
An alternative way to look for dates with suitable imagery. EarthExplorer (USGS) is a better source for all imagery.
NGA GEOnet Name Server (GNS)
What's in a name? Solve your map naming issues with this site. The GEOnet Names Server (GNS) is the official repository of standard spellings of all foreign geographic names, sanctioned by the United States Board on Geographic Names (US BGN). The database also contains variant spellings (cross-references), which are useful for finding purposes, as well as non-Roman script spellings of many of these names. All the geographic features in the database contain information about location, administrative division, and quality. The database can be used for a variety of purposes, including establishing official spellings of foreign place names, cartography, GIS, GEOINT, and finding places.
United Nations Environment Programme Environmental Data Explorer
The Environmental Data Explorer is the authoritative source for data sets used by UNEP and its partners in the Global Environment Outlook (GEO) report and other integrated environment assessments.
United Nations Second Administrative Level Boundaries (SALB)
This platform is developed in collaboration with and validated by the National Mapping Agencies (NMA) of each UN Member State and results in a database which contains: National Mapping Agencies contact information, coded historic changes starting from 1990 for the 1st sub national level and from 2000 for the 2nd sub national level, seamless GIS maps corresponding to the different situations observed since January 2000.
World Bank Project & Operations Maps
This is a visual guide to the use of maps used by the World Bank and can help give you ideas on yor own projects. The site promotes a mapping for results approach.
WorldClim - Global Climate Data
WorldClim is a set of global climate layers (climate grids) with a spatial resolution of about 1 square kilometer.
Note that only datasets marked as "Federal" are subject to the U.S. Federal Government and Data.gov's Data Policy. Non-federal participants (e.g., universities, organizations, and tribal, state, and local governments) maintain their own data policies. It is important that users understand the data policies of participating entities in order to best utilize these datasets. A description of this catalog and information about the datasets presented and associated metrics is available here.
These maps are already identified by regional planners as neccessary and usable. They are from data sets usable at the national level. Most are already in use for planning. The site is overwhelming for some so you may want to start with the Search bar. When you are having trouble finding data from other sources this may be the one place that data in some form may be found. We recommend using this link broken down by Department of the United States Government. Click on and search within the Department of the government.
National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD)
These data sets were not necessarily collected for the purpose of mapping or conducting spatial analysis, therefore users may have to do additional work to make these collections compatible with their particular GIS. Please note that this is a static list updated monthly by NACJD staff. Users should also check the Recent Updates and Additions link on the Download Data page to see the most recent data collections added to the archive.
In the National Atlas Map Maker, you can assemble, view, and print your own maps. You can choose from hundreds of layers of geographic information to make maps. Each map layer can be displayed individually or mixed with others as you tailor a map to your needs. For example, you can make a map showing America's streams and lakes. And you can add new map layers showing additional geographic information, such as state boundaries, county boundaries, roads, railroads, and towns and cities. This not currently a download site, but will serve well for people not familiar with GIS technology.
National Library of Medicine TOXMAP
Chemical releases and hazardous waste sites from theEPA's Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and the SuperfundNational Priorities List (NPL).Click on in the upper left to access data. The site is being upgraded so if you experience any difficulty while using assistive technology or accessing information while on the TOXMAP web site, please contact NLOM via email or call them at (301) 496-1131.
NESDIS at the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
The National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS) is dedicated to providing timely access to global environmental data from satellites and other sources to promote, protect and enhance the Nation's economy, security, environment and quality of life. To fulfill its responsibilities, NESDIS—informally known as the NOAA Satellite and Information Service—acquires and manages the Nation's operational environmental satellites, operates the NOAA National Data Centers. The four main data sets are broken out below.
- NOAA Satellite and Information Service
- National Climate Data Center
- National Geophysical Data Center
- National Weather Service GIS Data Portal
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
The Dynamic Maps, Geographic Information System (GIS) Data and Analysis Tools website provides maps, data and tools for renewable energy resources that determine which energy technologies are viable solutions in domestic and international regions.
National Wetlands Inventory *COMING SOON 2014*
This national geospatial data product will contribute substantially to improved modeling of flow and water movement in surface water basins, channels, and wetlands. The old site has been removed, you can use the UN version under Global Data till the new site is up and running.
â€‹UPDATE 12/15/13 Some data is now available using through the left margin of the page.
USDA, FSA National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP)â€‹
The National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) acquires aerial imagery during the agricultural growing seasons in the continental U.S. A primary goal of the NAIP program is to make digital ortho photography available to governmental agencies and the public within a year of acquisition.
USGS National Map
Use The National Map Viewer and Download Platform to visualize, inspect, and download our most current topographic base map data and products for free.
Census BoundariesTIGER products are spatial extracts from the Census Bureau's MAF/TIGER database, containing features such as roads, railroads, rivers, as well as legal and statistical geographic areas. The Census Bureau offers several file types and an online mapping application. Our products are:
GIS Data Workshops are intended to introduce or improve one’s knowledge of the process of performing spatial analysis using Geographic Information Systems software as a tool. As UM has a site license for ArcGIS software, it is the main software used to teach spatial analysis for this workshop series.
Workshops typically consist of two-hour sessions that take a sample research topic/question and walks through how to acquire, convert, analyze, and display spatial data related to the topic. The aim of these workshops is learning through problem-solving.
These workshops are not intended to be comprehensive in nature nor intended to replace or substitute any GIS courses offered at UM. They introduce the GIS resources offered by the Library which include one-on-one GIS consultations, additional training online, and GIS data acquisition/access.
Workshops labeled Open Workshop are part of the Utilizing GIS Data Workshop series. Workshops labeled with course numbers are specifically for that course as a course support/augmented workshop.
- CAE 744 Risk Management and Resilience
Flood Modeling in Little River Miami GIS Data & Tutorial
- Introduction to ArcGIS Online (Date TBA)
- Introduction to ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App (Date TBA)
- Course Tutorials and Custom Workshops
The GIS staff, including Abraham Parrish (GIS Librarian) and Dr. Jorge Quintela (GIS and Data Specialist), provide instructional support for courses that use GIS software and methods. To schedule course tutorials or custom workshops, contact Abraham Parrish (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ECS 301: (ArcGIS Online, Web Apps) Adding, Vizualizing, Interpolating, and Printing GIS Data
ARC 585/685: (ArcGIS Pro)
Workshop 1: Brickell Site Data Tutorial 1
Workshop 2: Brickell Site Vector Tutorial 2
Workshop 3: Brickell Site 3D Tutorial 3
Workshop 4: Brickell Site IE Weather Data: NCEI_NOAA_Data Tutorial 4
Workshop 5: Brickell Site Output Tutorial 5
GEG 410: GIS II Data (ArcGIS Pro)
- ARC 606: Sutro Baths GIS Data (Fall 2019)
- CAE 744: Little River Flood Modeling (Fall 2019)
- Little Havana Data (Fall 2019)
- Determinants of Health Course Data Download (Summer 2019)
- Open Workshop: ESRI Insights (Fall 2018)
Dataset: South Florida NonIndigenous Aquatic Species
Dataset: Miami 311 Service Requests
- Open Workshop: Creating Raster Digital Elevation Models from LIDAR Data Using ArcGIS Pro (Fall 2018)
Dataset: LIDAR Workshop Data
- Open Workshop: Introduction to R Visualizing and Managing Geospatial Data (Fall 2018)
- Open Workshop: Distribution Analysis with Population Data (Fall 2018)
- Open Workshop: Developing Conservation Strategies for Florida's Forests (Fall 2018)
- Open Workshop: ESRI Insights for Marine Science (Fall 2018)
- Open Workshop: Using ArcMap for Spatial Analysis in Social Science and Education Research (Spring 2018)
- Architecture: Flood Mitigation (Spring 2018)
- Open Workshop: Gun Violence Analysis (ArcGIS Desktop, Summer 2017)
- (ArcGIS Desktop, Spring 2017)
- (ArcGIS Desktop, Spring 2017)
- Open Workshop: Developing Conservation Strategies for Florida’s Forests (ArcGIS Desktop, Spring 2017)
- Open Workshop: Distribution Analysis with Population Data (ArcGIS Desktop, Spring 2017)
- GEG 410: Roy GIS Data ArcGIS Pro (ArcGIS Pro, Spring 2017)
- GEG 410: Roy GIS Data ArcGIS Online (ArcGIS Pro, Spring 2017)
- MD/MPH MS-1: (Fall 2016)
FCDS Cancer Data
Miami Dade Food Hygiene
Miami Dade Schools
- GEG 410 Dr. Roy class guide to ArcGIS Collector for iOS (Fall 2016)
- Open Workshop: Gun Violence in the US (Fall 2016)
- Open Workshop: World Population (Fall 2016)
- Open Workshop: Hurricane Loss Mitigation in Melbourne Beach, Florida (Fall 2016)
- Open Workshop: GIS Workshop Data for Gun Violence in US (Fall 2016)
- Open Workshop: GIS Workshop Data for Population Distribution (Fall 2016)
- ARC 203: Little River Neighborhood (Fall 2016)
Example of time-series study with Daytona Beach topo maps:
Daytona Beach 24K 1952
Daytona Beach 24K 1980
Daytona Beach 24K 1993
United States Geological Survey:
Over 100K modern and historic scanned topographic maps of the United States.
USGS Map Locator & Downloader
Yale University Beinecke Library Digital Maps: thousands of antique scanned maps.
Library of Congress:
Digital Collection with over 15,000 scanned maps.
Source for GIS data and scanned maps from a consortium of dozens of Universities & Organizations.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps:
Detailed scale maps mostly of United States towns & cities c. 1880-1930
Michigan State guide to Sanborns
NYPL Sanborns & similar type atlases
Historic Sanborn overlay on modern map example
Fairly comprehensive gazetteer of world place names and features excluding the USA.
United States Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System
Gazetteer of United States place names and features.
World gazetteer with descriptions of places in addition to coordinates.
Columbia Gazetteer of the World
2. ArcGIS Pro Count the number of points inside polygons using Spatial Join
3. ArcGIS Pro_Join an excel or csv table to a feature layer
4. Determining the predominant type of features when overlaying two polygon layers
5. Clipping a raster in ArcGIS Pro
6. Export an attribute table from ArcGIS Pro to Excel
7. Deriving a slope surface in ArcGIS Pro
8. Deriving an aspect surface in ArcGIS Pro
9. Editing the style of a vector tile in ArcGIS
10. Creating a profile graph from a surface in ArcGIS Pro