Discover materials from all University of Miami Libraries, including Law and Medical.
Go to uSearch
Once you are familiar with the primary uSearch bar, you might want to try the Advanced Search option. Both of these options offer numerous features for making your searches more precise and enable you to get results that are more useful.
2. After you have done your search, the drop down option tab appears on the right hand side to let you know which search option you are currently using.
3. You can click on the drop down arrow to change your search.
- Interlibrary Loan - Interlibrary Loan (ILL) provides University of Miami faculty, students and staff access to research materials which are not available at the UM Libraries.
- Ask a Librarian - different ways to contact your librarians
- Video Tutorials - How To videos on using our website and finding sources
- Citation Help - help with different citation software
- Workshops - a list of all the workshops available from the library
Results and ranking are the same.
Tabs and scopes for limiting your search are now integrated into the search box. Start typing, and the options for limiting your search will appear below:
Once you have done a search, more options are available to limit by library:
The choices to limit your search are the same as in our current catalog.
Options to limit your search to a certain material type, or search only in certain fields, have moved to the Advanced Search, instead of below the search bar.
Search results are no longer presented on pages with a set number of results per page. Instead, scroll to the bottom of the list to continue viewing more results.
When viewing an item, all information is now on one screen. Scroll down to view details, additional links, and virtual browse:
“e-Shelf” is now called “My Favorites,” and uses a pin icon instead of a star:
Items in My Favorites are organized using labels, instead of folders. Any items in your e-Shelf have been moved to My Favorites, and given labels to match their folders.
A new clock icon takes you to search history:
From there, you can also view saved searches and set up alerts.
If you do not use the exact phrase options, the system will find items that contain the individual words in the phrase, regardless of whether these words are located next to each other in the order specified.
For example, to search for items with the word Irish or the word Celtic, type the following in the search box:
If you search for words or phrases without specifying OR or NOT, uSearch assumes that you are searching for all the specified words or phrases.
For example, to search for items with the word Celtic and exclude any of these items with the word Irish, type the following in the search box:
If you search for words or phrases without specifying OR or NOT, Primo assumes that you are searching for all the specified words or phrases.
The system ignores wildcard characters placed at the beginning of search terms. For example, the system treats the search terms ?aying and *aying as if you had searched foraying.
- Resource Type - the format of the item, such as book, article, journal, and so forth.
- Title - the title displays either the item’s information or the online resource.
- Author, creator, and date - the item’s author, creator, and publication date.
A. Online Access
B. Full Text Available
Quotation Mark : gives you the citation with several different citation style options.
Email icon : email citation to yourself or others
Pin : Keep this Item, send resource to your favorites folder
dot-dot-dot : opens up all the previous options as well as export to bibliographic management, permalink, report a problem, SMS, and print
When you click on the dot-dot-dot, he record pops up and shows the additional options. The SMS allows you to text the citation to your phone.
Advanced Search allows you to select from the basic limiters of Everything, Library Catalog, and Course Reserves. You can then further limit your search by the other options.
- Any field - contains limiters for Title, Author/Creator, Subject, Call Number, Publicher/Place, Note, Local Note, or ISBN
- Contains - limts include Contains, Exact Phrase, or Start With
- And - options are And, Or, or Not
Additional parameters include:
- Material Type - All Items, Books & eBooks, Articles, Journal Titles, Images, Scores, Video, Audio, Audio CDs, LPs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, VHS
- Languages - contains 11 different language options including English and Spanish.
- Publication Date - lets you select a specific date range, Last Year, or within the last 2, 5, 10, and 20 years.
Signing in to your Library Account enables you to view the contents of your library card and perform library services, such as renewing a book or canceling a request. In addition, it lets you define your personal uSearch settings. To access your Library Account, click the link which appears at the top right of each page in uSearch.
My Favorites allows you to save and organize items that you find during your search session.
To access My Favorites, click the pin icon at the top right of the page.
The results page default is to sort by Date starting from the oldest saved records. Newer saved records appear at the bottom of the list. You can also organize your favorites by Title and Author. Click the drop down arrow on the "Date added" menu to change the sort.
This feature gives you the option to view your search history, saved records, and saves searches.
To view your saved searches, or "queries" , click on the pin icon at the top right of the website.
- RSS - Syndicated content, otherwise known as Really Simple Syndication (RSS), is a popular way to distribute information from Web sites. For example, using RSS, a news site or a blog can automatically feed its news articles or entries to a group of subscribers.
- Alert bell - click here to get email notifications of new resources that are relevant to your search query.
- Thumbtack - this icon will have a strickethrough on it. Click on the icon to remove this query from your saved searches.